- attend one of our SURF info sessions
- closely read through this website so that you fully understand the eligibility requirements and the fellowship commitment for the specific SURF program you are applying to
- Beginning in January, make an appointment with the appropriate SURF advisor to discuss your application.
- discuss your plans with prospective faculty sponsors as soon as possible and determine who will sponsor your research and write your letter of recommendation
SURF Rose Hills Experience Application Instructions:
- Download the “SURF Research Proposal Form” found below. As you work on this proposal form you should discuss it with your research mentor. Ultimately, the form will be saved as a PDF and uploaded as part of your application.
- You will have to be logged into UC Berkeley Bmail (your campus email account) to see and use the link. Use this link to submit your completed application including relevant information and upload the required documents that we request.
- Make sure you have sent the recommendation form link to your research supervisor well in advance of the deadline, and make sure that they know in detail: your proposal and what program you are applying for. Their deadline is the same as the program deadline.
- If your project involves human subjects research, it may require approval from the Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects (CPHS). Click here to learn more and begin preparing for CPHS review. Students conducting human subjects research should prepare to have their finalized research protocols ready for CPHS review by April 18th, 2022.
Letter of Recommendation Instructions:
- Your research sponsor is the UC Berkeley, UCSF, CHORI, or LBNL scientist / principal investigator who has agreed to provide oversight for the duration of your SURF research project.
- Send your faculty research supervisor the following link to the recommendation form and let them know it is due March 1st, 2022: this form is available here.
- Your research sponsor’s letter should address: 1) Research Question and Design: Does the proposal ask an interesting question and is it well designed to answer that question? 2) Timeline: Can the project outlined be realistically completed in the timeline proposed? 3) Faculty Guidance: Is the faculty member willing to guide this student’s research? Faculty sponsors should be available by phone or email during the summer. 4) Faculty knowledge of this student’s ability to complete assignments responsibly, and sponsor’s confidence in student’s ability to solve problems they might encounter in this project.
- One letter of recommendation submitted by a UC Berkeley, UCSF, CHORI, or LBNL scientist / principal investigator who has agreed to provide oversight for the duration of your SURF research project
- One research proposal, in pdf format
- Your UC Berkeley transcript, in pdf format. You may submit either official or unofficial transcripts.