Students are permitted to apply their stipend to travel and research expenses for both domestic and international research travel.

Languages and Contacts

Nearly one-quarter of SURF fellows travel out-of-state or abroad for their summer research projects. Are you proposing to do research in a foreign country? Be sure to describe language skills or prior experience that will help make your project a success. Include the names and contact information of people who will be crucial to your success in the field.

Travel Insurance

All SURF Fellows who travel out-of-state or abroad in their research should apply for University of California Traveler Insurance Coverage before beginning travel. Paper copy of your application should be filed with the SURF Office.

Travel Warnings

If you are planning travel to a country for which a current State department travel warning is in effect, you should check with our office before submitting an application. You may be asked to make further arrangements for safe travel.